The Goddess Fate. Victorian carved shell cameo. Wonderful quality.
This is a strikingly good cameo that shows Fate, with her line and snips. A wonderful cameo for a diviner or fortune-teller to wear?
Fate was usually, though not always, shown as three goddesses, the Moirai - Lachesis, Atropos, and Cloto. The depiction here is either a representation of all three in one, or it may show Lachesis, cutting the thread of life.
It's a museum-quality piece in gold and comes complete with gold safety chain.
Condition is very good, with some small cracks and rubbing which is normal for the age - these are not obvious when the cameo is worn. Please see photos.
- Hand-carved shell cameo brooch.
- Sardonyx shell.
- 19th century period, around 1860.
- Gold surround (not tested or marked but probably 15K).
- Approximately 5.75 cm (2.25 inches) across.
- Approximately 4.5 cm (1.75 inches) across.