The Mythical Creatures (monochrome edition).
- Regular Price
- Sale Price
- Regular Price
- Unit Price
- translation missing: en.general.accessibility.unit_price_separator
Sorry, the deck is now sold out. Thanks for all the support for The Mythical Creatures Tarot.
This is a pre-order for the "monochrome" version of The Mythical Creatures Tarot. The deck has been in process since - wait for it! - August 2005 - so we want it to be an exceptional piece.
The images are painstakingly drawn in pen and ink by the brilliantly talented Russian artist, Lena Kozachuk, with a great deal of input and image editing by Alex Ukolov. It's been a real partnership, with both enhancing the skills of the other. Karen Mahony designed the concept and structure of the deck.
It is based on a variety of magical and fascinating creatures from world mythology, ranging from the familiar, such as the unicorn and the giant, to the less known, like the Irish Amandán and the strange, conjoined alchemical rebus.
We won't be repeating this version, which is one of our guaranteed limited editions.
Please note that as the deck is in progress the pictures here are mock-ups, though they do give the most accurate impression of the deck that we can manage at this point. We will add more images as soon as possible.
- 475 copies only will be for sale (we will run 500 copies but probably keep 25 for ourselves). This is a signed and numbered Limited Edition. There will be a coloured version of this deck (we think in late 2017 or 2018) but it will be printed and produced in a more modern style and probably in a slightly larger quantity.
- Large size - this is a slightly different format from any cards we've made before at approx. 5.4 by 3.4 inches (13.7 by 8. 6 cm).
- Majors and courts each have an illustration of a mythical creature. Minors ("pips") have highly decorative illustrations and show the suit symbols.
- Printed by the small artisan printers in Prague who did the original Tarot of Prague for us back in 2003. They take great pride in their work and are known for doing small projects that need a lot of hand work.
- Printed on heavy 350 gram art card (this is not carbon-core playing card stock, it's a more old-fashioned art card).
With a bronze ink overprint on the back (an old-fashioned ink that's more fitting for this deck than the cold-stamping that we have used recently on decks).
- Varnished with matte varnish so that the varnish is not obvious.
- Corners cut by a hand-process that results in slight unevenness - it's how antique cards were cut.
- A detailed booklet is included. This will have less information than the companion book that we plan, but is comprehensive enough to allow you to knowledgeably use the deck.
- Supplied in a sturdy wooden box specially designed for the deck and made in Czech Republic.
- Supplied with a beautiful hand-made pouch in gilded linen (a gorgeous fabric made in Czech Republic).
Please note again that this is a pre-order - the deck will ship in November.
Please also see "More details" for FAQs.
FAQs on coupons and pre-orders.
Yes, please see separate listings for a two payment layaway. Please note that the layaway is slightly more expensive, to allow for the much greater amount of admin involved.
You can only apply one discount at a time— it's the way the shop is set up and there is no way we can over-ride that.
Please work out which discount is best for you (you can always save your reward points for another order or a free treat.)
Is there a companion book?
No. But there will be a detailed booklet. We plan to write a full companion book for the coloured version coming out in 2017/8.
What other Mythical items will be available?
With our Limited Editions we guarantee never to reprint that edition. So once the decks are gone, no more will ever be printed. It's that simple. We have never reprinted a Limited Edition deck, and never will.
With a "small-run" open edition deck, we aren't printing nearly as many as a mass-market deck but we reserve the right to reprint in the future. It doesn't mean we definitely will reprint, but we might and so an open edition is NOT limited.