The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot — standard deck, second edition with cold-stamping.
The deck is now sold out, as we have run out of boxes, though we do still have cards! We have ordered new boxes which will be made in WOOD (not printed card) this time, and we expect to put these on the shop in late May 2022.
Because the new boxes will be in WOOD (and made in Europe by our usual supplier), we will need to take photos and give specifications so that anyone ordering can see exactly how they look. For this reason, we are not taking reservations yet.
The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot was originally published by us in 2006, but has been out of print for many years. After many (many) requests, and as we feel that our ability to add cold-stamping now brings a whole new visual level to the cards, we are making a splendid second edition. Everything is made in Europe as we don't send any files to countries that have a record of poor legislation on counterfeiting. This helps to protect your deck from being copied.
Lively, humorous and utterly engaging, The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot is based on the illustrations of 19th century French illustrator, J.J. Grandville. Known as the "Father of Surrealism", Grandville was a huge influence on artists such as Tenniel, the first illustrator of Alice in Wonderland (and also a huge influence on Baba Studio of course!). His pictures are cynical, funny, bitter and sweet - and make for a deck that manages to be both timeless and true.
The last two pictures here show some of the cards photographed at an angle, so that you can see the illustrations, and then straight on, so that you can see the cold-stamping. In person the cold-stamping will tend to "flash" into sight and out again as you move the cards in the light - this gives an almost dynamic effect.
- 78 fully-illustrated scenic cards based on Rider Waite Smith (RWS) tarot pattern.
- The cards are a generous size - 128*78mm (about 5 inches by 3 inches).
- Challenging, witty images that invite you to use your imagination and intuition.
- The images are taken from our original books. Our Les Métamorphoses du Jour book is an original from 1847, with hand-coloured imagery. This helps to give our images their fantastic, detailed quality.
- Painstakingly cold-stamped. We use subtle cold-stamping throughout the whole image - this makes the card "flash" with metallic colours when the light hits it.
- Printed in Europe on high-quality German-made 330 gram playing card stock with a carbon inner layer to protect against bending and creasing.
- Lightly varnished for durability without a plastic feeling - the finish is fairly matte.
- Sturdy hinged box for long-term storage. This is also cold-stamped.
- Booklet with meanings and guide for use.
We also have optional items listed separately. These include:
- Extensive and highly-illustrated full companion book (extensively changed for this edition) with coloured card illustrations! There is a pre-order discount available for the book.
- Limited edition Fantastic Managerie Tarot bags — with prints from the cards and with high-quality silk velvet. To get 20% off a bag when ordered with a deck, please enter this code at checkout (only one discount code can be used at checkout):