Final decks. SECOND LAYAWAY PAYMENT. The Mythical Creatures - gilded and water-coloured. Large format, limited edition.
SECOND LAYAWAY PAYMENT. This is the second of TWO staged payments. Please note that the deck will begin shipping in APRIL.
Please do NOT order this SECOND LAYAWAY PAYMENT if you have not already ordered a FIRST LAYAWAY PAYMENT. You can make the first layaway payment at this link. Thanks!
Please note also that the total pre-order price, if you pay with a layaway, is slightly more expensive than paying the full pre-order in one payment, and we charge a little more for shipping and handling, to allow for the greater admin time required.
If you place a FIRST layaway payment, please pay the SECOND payment within two months. Unfortunately we may need to cancel and refund your pre-order layaway if we have to send two or more reminders about the second payment.
All items ordered with a pre-order will be sent at the same time when the deck is available. If you would like to have any items sent earlier, please place them in a separate order.
This is a pre-order for the "water-colour" limited edition version of The Mythical Creatures Tarot. The deck has been in process since - wait for it! - August 2005 - so we want it to be an exceptional piece.
The images are painstakingly drawn in pen and ink by the brilliantly talented Russian artist, Lena Kozachuk, with a great deal of input and image editing by Alex Ukolov. It's been a real partnership, with both enhancing the skills of the other. Karen Mahony designed the concept and structure of the deck. The water-colouring was done by Irish artist Geraldine Woessner, working in close co-operation with Karen and Alex.
For clarity, please note that the original drawings have been water-coloured, and then we have printed from these originals - i.e. we have not hand painted every deck! (we know you know this, but best to be very clear).
The deck is based on a variety of magical and fascinating creatures from world mythology, ranging from the familiar, such as the unicorn and the giant, to the less known, like the Irish Amadán and the strange, conjoined alchemical Rebus.
We won't be repeating this version, which is one of our guaranteed limited editions. It comes in a beautiful wooden box (carefully made in Czech Republic) and for the first time for one of our decks, the foldover pouch that comes with the deck is specially embroidered here in our studio in Killarney!
Please note that as the deck is in progress the pictures here are mock-ups, though they do give the most accurate impression of the deck that we can manage at this point. The final look may change and we think the card backgrounds are likely to be more ivory/parchment than the white shown. There will also be cold-stamping (a metallic effect), which we can't shown in mock-ups. We will add more images as soon as possible.
- 475 copies only will be for sale (we will run 500 copies but keep 25 for ourselves). This is a signed and numbered Limited Edition.
- 78 very large format fully illustrated cards, 165 * 100 mm (about 6.5 * 4 inches) plus a title card (79 cards in all).
- One extra card - a scenic and beautiful Three of Cups. This is our gift because of the original delay in printing the deck. It can be used for display or perhaps as a bookmark.
- All decks will be signed and numbered.
- Majors and Courts each have an illustration of a mythical creature. Minors ("pips") have highly decorative illustrations and show the suit symbols.
- Cold-stamped. This is an underlaid ink but gives the impression of a metallic overlay. It is NOT actually metal though, so there are no metal-allergy issues. See pictures 2 and 3 for the effect.
- Printed in Europe under our careful supervision.
- Printed on 330 gram European playing-card stock.
- Varnished with semi-matte varnish so that the varnish is not too shiny.
- A detailed booklet is included. This will have less information than the companion book that we plan, but is comprehensive enough to allow you to knowledgeably use the deck.
- Supplied in a sturdy, coloured solid wooden hinged box specially designed for the deck and made in Czech Republic.
- Supplied with a beautiful hand-made and embroidered foldover pouch in gilded linen (a gorgeous fabric made in Czech Republic). The embroidery is done by us in our studio and is of very high quality and based on our own designs. The bag is sewn by our wonderful seamstress, Romana, in Czech Republic. Please note that for these final LE decks, the lining of the bag may be in either taupe silk or soft green silk. See final photo. All linings are high quality 100% pure silk.
We also have optional items listed separately. These include:
- Extensive and highly-illustrated companion book with coloured card illustrations!
- Limited edition Mythical Creatures Tarot bags — with prints from the cards and with high-quality silk velvet. For 20% discount on a bag when bought with the deck, please use code:
Please note again that this is a pre-order - we expect the deck to begin shipping in April.
FAQs on coupons and pre-orders.
Yes, please see separate listing for a single payment HERE. It is slightly less expensive to pay in one payment, as it involves less admin for us.
You can only apply one discount code at a time— it's the way the shop is set up and there is no way we can over-ride that.
Please work out which discount is best for you (you can always save your reward points for another order or a free treat.)
Is there a companion book?
Yes. There is a full companion book available separately. We sell the books separately as we find that some people (for example, non English speakers) would rather buy without a book.
What other Mythical Creatures items will be available?
With our Limited Editions we guarantee never to reprint that edition. So once the decks are gone, no more will ever be printed. It's that simple. We have never reprinted a Limited Edition deck, and never will.
With a "small-run" open edition deck, we aren't printing nearly as many as a mass-market deck but we reserve the right to reprint in the future. It doesn't mean we definitely will reprint, but we might and so an open edition is NOT limited.