Magic Prague tour 2016
A tour of "The Magic City". Explore the enchantment and mysteries of Prague and Bohemia.
Prague is infused with magic and the fantastical and we want to invite you to explore it with us. Do you dare to walk in the steps of magician and alchemist Dr. Dee and his scandalous assistant, the notorious Edward Kelley? Would you like to see for yourself where the golem was created, and later destroyed, by Rabbi Loewe?
Perhaps you desire a visit to the strange, Golden Lane salon of Madame de Thebes, the heroic tarot-reader extraordinaire who defied the Nazis? Or to sip absinthe after wandering around a museum devoted to alchemy? Join us to sit beneath a ceiling in which carved mermaids cavort while you enjoy an alchemical menu—all this after your excursion to a Bone Chapel where even the chandeliers are made, gulp!, of human bones.
We will show you where Doctor Faustus was taken to Hell by the devil himself. It happened in Prague of course, and we can tell you where the Faust House still stands. They say at certain times, even now, you can smell sulphur.
For an unforgettably magical experience, come to Prague next spring and let us share with you the bewitching wonders of this city in the company of others who love magic, mystery and the beauty of the real Bohemia.
In May 2016, Baba Studio will host its first tour in collaboration with our friends at the much-loved Praga Caput Regni tour company *. To make the experience rich and memorable, we will have expert guides to show you around and answer questions, and give you an insider's view of this ancient city. This will be a special opportunity and a unique way to delve into the history and myths of the capital of Bohemia.
The streets of Prague were a fantasia scarcely touched by the twenty-first century—or the twentieth or nineteenth, for that matter.
It was a city of alchemists and dreamers, its medieval cobbles once trod by golems, mystics, invading armies.
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke and Bone.
Because we love the sheer magic of this most remarkable city and want to be able to share it widely, the tour will be the best value for money and as all-inclusive as possible.
We'll be delving into topics to include:
- Libuse, the Celtic queen of elfen blood who founded Prague.
- Rudolph II and the alchemists of Prague.
- Rabbi Loewe and the golem.
- Prague myths and legends.
- Haunted Prague, "Gothic" Prague—the dark sides of the city.
- Esoteric Prague, secret societies, and local occultists.
- and of course... The Tarot of Prague and Baba Studio.
- Evening meet and greet in the old Mala Strana quarter of Prague. We will be near the original Baba Studio, which is in the heart of the area associated with alchemy.
- Day tour of the Castle area to include Golden Lane (the street of the alchemists) and a visit to the house in which Madam de Thebes read fortunes in her cards in the 1930s.
- Walk over the medieval Charles Bridge (not forgetting to touch the magic relief that can grant a wish) visit to the old Jewish quarter in Prague. We will visit the Old/New Synagogue, the old Jewish cemetery in which Rabbi Loewe is buried and hear the story of the creation and destruction of the golem.
- Take an alchemical tour in Prague. Visit to Alchemiae Museum and refreshment at one of Prague's amazing cafes nearby.
- Day trip to Kutna Hora to visit the creepily amazing Bone Chapel at Sedlec and tour this historical and magical town with its associations with alchemy. To include a meal at the amazing inn there, which features an alchemical menu and... a mermaid chandelier!
- Evening performance in Prague of traditional puppet theatre with bizarre and wonderful characters. This will be a private performance just for us and there will be an opportunity to meet the puppeteer. Please note that this is subject to availability.
- Visit to the magical caves above Prague and a meeting with the esoteric artist who works there. Please note that this is subject to availability.
- Visit to the Black Light Theatre to see Myths of Old Prague. Please note that this is subject to availability.
- Optional trip to the opera or ballet (this will depend on what is on and it will need to be booked in advance as tickets sell out fast).
- Optional trip to an exhibition, depending on what's on at the time. Usually there is at least one exhibition running that has links to our magical themes.
- Visit to the first site of Baba Studio, where many of our decks were created.
- Talk/show-and-tell about the history of fortune-telling cards in this region. Including some incredible photos of rare cards.
Prague. Praha. The name actually meant “threshold”...
the city was a portal between the life of the good and … the other.
A city of dark magic, Alessandro had called it.
― Magnus Flyte, City of Dark Magic
Practical details. Your holiday will include:
- Six-night stay in a magical historical hotel in the centre of Prague. We will stay in historic buildings in historic areas (we expect to use two hotels to accommodate everyone), so the magic is on your doorstep.
Please note. Price is for double-occupancy. If you would like single occupancy, please pay for extra occupancy fee when you book.
- Breakfast and one other good-quality restaurant or pub meal (with choices!) provided each day.
- In-depth tours by qualified, knowledgeable local tour guides, with Baba Studio input (Praga Caput Regni is one of the top tour companies in Prague, see their feedback on Tripadvisor*).
- Limited numbers on each guided tour. We will supply two tour guides where necessary so that each tour is not more than 12 people and there is lots of opportunity for personal attention.
- Option, where possible, to choose "more walking" or "less walking" tours.
- A three-card reading (approximately 10 minutes) with Karen Mahony or an assistant (to be announced but it will be a good reader!), using The Tarot of Prague. This is a unique way to connect to the city and your own personal magic.
- Some very special group photographs (we have plans!) by Alex Ukolov.
- Lots of fun stuff as well as more serious magical history and mythology. We want this to be a truly magical six days that will include lots of cafe visits and some time for general shopping and sight-seeing.
- Baba Studio (very) goodie bag to take home!
This document outlines what we agree to provide and what you as a tour member agree to in return. This is important information, so please read carefully. By booking and paying the non-refundable deposit or payment you acknowledge you have read, understood and agreed to be legally bound by these conditions.
Included in the price of this Tour:
- Daily tours and events in English language with qualified local Czech guides and/or Karen Mahony or Alex Ukolov.
- Admission fees for planned events & places.
- Six night's double occupancy hotel accomodation including buffet breakfast (single occupancy available at extra cost).
- One other meal a day – this will usually be dinner.
- Transportation to and from Kutna Hora on our Kutna Hora tour. This will be by comfortable coach
- A three-card Tarot of Prague reading with Karen Mahony and Alex Ukolov
- Membership of our special Facebook group leading up to the event.
- Any extras at the hotel – for example if you choose to take coffee or drinks there or make phone calls via the hotel. Please pay any such charges the evening before departure.
- Any extras you order during meals (any drinks that aren’t included etc).
- Coffee, tea snacks and so on if we stop for refreshments during our tours. We will do our best to choose value-for-money cafes for such stops, but you will be responsible for your own bill.
- Travel insurance. Please take out your own travel insurance for the trip.
The health services in Prague are generally very good and many doctors speak English, but you may be charged for any medical treatment required while you are here. However, normally such charges are considerably lower than they would be in, for example, the USA.
Please do take out travel insurance and/or if you are a European Union citizen, please check what documents you may need to bring to get free or reduced cost medical care should you need it.
Please let us know in advance if you have any physical or psychological medical conditions that could cause problems when you are here. In particular, please inform us of any dietery allergies, and/or allergies to environmental items such as feathers or anything else that might effect your health and comfort when you’re in Prague. All such information will be treated in confidence and will not be disclosed to anyone else without your permission.
Co-operation and social interaction and behaviour
We expect everyone to have a great time and to make new friends. However, in the rare instance of someone behaving in a way that impacts on the comfort or safety of others on the tour, we reserve the right to remove them from the tour, without complaint or claim against us. This will normally only be done after discussion to see if there is any other way to resolve the issue.
After December 2015, payments for this tour are non-refundable except if the tour is cancelled by us.
To make this tour excellent value for money, we’ve negotiated several group discounts for hotels, tours and meals.
This means that we won’t be able to refund any payments made, unless you cancel before the end of December 2015. Please do consider taking out insurance to cover your expenses if you have to cancel.
If you ask for a refund more than 45 days after you paid , we will refund MINUS fees (for example, PayPal fees or bank transfer fees) as we will not be able to recover these.
Our walking tours are quite active. The experience of being in the streets of Prague and Kutna Hora is very much part of the overall enjoyment of these tours.
We will try to build in times to stop, sit and perhaps have a drink or snack but if you aren’t used to walking a considerable distance each day you may find it quite demanding.
- We would suggest that you prepare yourself by walking at least a mile or two regularly for a couple of months before the trip.
- Prague is hilly, so you will need to be fit enough to walk up fairly steep streets at times.
- Please bring comfortable walking shoes (central Prague has a lot of cobbled streets which can be difficult to walk in if you’re wearing heels).
- Bring something waterproof in case of rain, as tours will normally go ahead if the rain is not too heavy.
- Bring a good, secure bag for anything you want to carry. In popular tourist places, pick-pocketing can be a problem, so you will need a bag that is difficult to break into.
Tour forms, & obligations:
Tour members will be required to sign & return necessary forms along with their deposit. These will include a release of liability form, Emergency Information Form and a Tour Conditions Agreement.
Because of the need to keep costs down, and also because not all venues would be covered, we have no protection coverage. Please arrange your own international travel insurance before travel.
Cancelation: We will make every effort to keep to the itineraries described. However we are not liable for any delay in, change to or cancellation of any part of this tour due to means beyond reasonable control including but not limited to war or threat of war, riot, civil strife, terrorist activity, industrial or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, fire, earthquake and strikes. Furthermore in order to operate the tour we require a minimum number of 18 full paying participants. If the minimum number is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour; in which case we will refund money paid by you for the tour.
Complaints and feedback: If you have any complaints or feedback about the tour, please let one of the organisers know as soon as possible. We want you to be happy with the tour and welcome all feedback.
Privacy: In order to be able to supply services to you, we will need to collect certain information from you, some of which may be personal. The information may be disclosed to our partners and service providers if necessary. This will not be used by them for any other purposes.
Publicity and Promotion: You agree that we can use images of you taken during the tour or feedback that you share.You also agree that we will not offer compensation to you for material used for publicity & promo purposes.